2010 Best Small Residential
Location: Near Peterborough, Ont., Canada
Type: Detached Boathouse with Guest Accommodations
Size: 2,000 sq. ft. (floor)
ICF Use: 2,300 sq. ft. (all exterior walls) plus 550 sq. ft. landscaping and extensive EPS decking
Cost: $1.2 million
Total Construction: 260 days
ICF Start-to-Finish Time: 30 days
Owner: Rand Selkirk
Architect: MacKenzie Design
Engineer: Ksander and Associates
General Contractor: Toms Contracting
ICF Installer: Tradewind Construction
Form Distributor: North River Distribution
ICF System: Walls by Logix/Bracing by Giraffe/ Floors by Insul-Deck
- Built into the face of a 45' cliff. Excavation was 45'x50'x100'
- Construction only when lake was frozen solid to avoid damage to fish habitat.
- Excavators and other equipment craned into foundation area
- ICF scribed to cliff face for perfect fit
- Insulated slab with radiant in-floor heat provides comfortable 2nd story guest quarters.
- Building topped with green roof, two feet of soil and evergreen trees
- Led to two similar boathouse projects nearby
« Click above to view ADDITIONAL images »